Fifth Third Bancorp (Nasdaq: FITB) today reported full year 2012 net income of $1.6 billion, up 22 percent from net income of $1.3 billion in 2011. After preferred dividends, 2012 net income available to common shareholders was $1.5 billion, or $1.66 per diluted share, up 41 percent compared with 2011 net income available to common shareholders of $1.1 billion, or $1.18 per diluted share.
Fourth quarter 2012 net income was $399 million, an increase of 10 percent from net income of $363 million in the third quarter of 2012 and 27 percent from net income of $314 million in the fourth quarter of 2011. After preferred dividends, net income available to common shareholders was $390 million, or $0.43 per diluted share, in the fourth quarter of 2012, compared with $354 million, or $0.38 per diluted share, in the third quarter of 2012, and $305 million, or $0.33 per diluted share, in the fourth quarter of 2011. Earnings per diluted share increased 13 percent from the third quarter of 2012 and 30 percent from the fourth quarter of 2011.
Fourth quarter 2012 noninterest income included a $157 million gain on the sale of Vantiv shares; a $19 million negative valuation adjustment on the Vantiv warrant; and a $15 million charge related to the valuation of the Visa total return swap. Net gains on investment securities were $2 million. Fourth quarter noninterest expense included $134 million of debt extinguishment costs associated with the termination of Federal Home Loan Bank (FHLB) debt and $13 million in charges to increase litigation reserves. Results also included an additional $29 million of charges to increase the mortgage representation and warranty reserve due to new Freddie Mac guidance for potential 2004-2006 repurchase claims. Fourth quarter 2012 taxes were reduced by approximately $10 million due to the termination of certain leases.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV