The Digital Skeptic: Expert Networks Crush Lucrative Banking M&A
"I signed up last month," he told me over a plate of ham dinner last month. He was referring to a New York company called the Gerson Lehrman Group, which connects experts with those willing to pay real money for the advice of real experts.
De Santis certainly qualifies. The former managing director at Deutsche Bank Securities now independently advises investors on horribly arcane, but lucrative, areas of fixed-income securities.
A few weeks after signing up, he said, he was connected to a major investor looking to do a billion-dollar acquisition of something called a life-settlements originator, which manages bunches of life insurance policies."I got on the phone with them. I told them all I knew," he said. "I made $600 an hour. They were thrilled." De Santis and I had spoken about the Gerson Lehrman Group before. The company is smack in the middle of a high-profile, $275 million SEC insider trading investigation concerning how trader Mathew Martoma found researcher Dr. Sid Gilman using the Gerson Lehrman network -- and may have traded on material inside information delivered by Gilman. I half-jokingly asked De Santis if he had divulged any insider information. He smiled. Paused. And then said this: "I told them nothing that an average investment banker wouldn't know," he said. De Santis then broke out his larger point: Here was a billion-dollar deal that didn't need a traditional, take-a-fat-percentage Wall Street mergers-and-acquisitions bank to get done.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV