New White Paper From Sign Up L.A. Coalition Highlights Critical Public Safety Role Of Digital Billboards In Los Angeles
LOS ANGELES, Jan. 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Sign Up L.A., the coalition of business groups, nonprofit organizations, community groups and sign companies that supports the reasonable use of digital signs in Los Angeles, today released a new white paper, " The Public Safety Digital Signs Gap," highlighting the real impact that digital signs in 43 states and 450 localities around the country are making in support of law enforcement and other public safety efforts by enabling messages to quickly and efficiently reach large audiences with important and potentially life-saving messages – further evidence that Los Angeles must act to prevent a public safety digital signs gap. Also today, in further highlighting the white paper's findings, a new FBI alert began running on digital signs in Los Angeles. The alert is seeking information and help from the public to track down a dangerous individual who has used an AK47 to rob banks in Southern California, Washington state and Idaho. This new FBI alert is a real-time example of the critical public safety benefits digital signs provide to the Los Angeles community.
The new FBI alert running on digital signs in Los Angeles requests the public's assistance in identifying and apprehending a fugitive wanted for armed robbery and for shooting a Chino Police Officer. The fugitive is considered armed and dangerous, and the FBI is seeking information to apprehend this dangerous criminal as quickly as possible.
Today's FBI alert is another clear indicator that digital signs are an important tool for law enforcement and other public safety agencies to rapidly reach large audiences with real-time information. In the new Sign Up L.A. white paper, the coalition shows how, in Southern California, the FBI, the Los Angeles Police Department, the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children, city of Los Angeles, Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (METRO) and Los Angeles County Office of Emergency Services have turned to digital billboards to enhance efforts to protect public safety. Digital signs provide the Los Angeles community with numerous safety benefits, such as stopping and combating crime, support during natural disasters, and emergency traffic alerts. Sign Up L.A. supports a reasonable public policy to protect these public safety benefits for the Los Angeles community.
"Digital signs are a key contributor to the public safety of Los Angeles and to every community where these signs operate because they can immediately transmit critical information to the community," said Lee Ann Muller, president of Clear Channel Outdoor – SoCal and member of Sign Up L.A. "The Los Angeles community can continue receiving these important and sometimes life-saving public safety benefits by working together with city leaders to develop a reasonable policy that allows digital signs to continue to support such things as FBI alerts and AMBER Alerts."Some of the key findings of, "The Public Safety Digital Signs Gap" include:
- Digital signs have supported law enforcement and public safety in Los Angeles in three specific areas 1) Stopping and combating crime; 2) Natural disaster preparation and response; and 3) Traffic alerts;
- Digital signs have been used effectively nationwide to stop crime and save lives;
- Public-private digital sign partnerships benefit public safety;
- Digital signs are widely supported by the public as a public safety tool and endorsed by law enforcement and city officials;
- Many of the country's largest cities have ordinances that codify public safety uses of digital signs, but Los Angeles does not.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV