The online auction site reported revenue of $4 billion, an 18% increase from a year earlier and above analysts' forecast of $3.976 billion.
Excluding items, eBay earned 70 cents a share, up from 60 cents. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters were looking for earnings of 69 cents a share.
In a statement, eBay said its earnings increase was driven by double-digit user growth across its portfolio and strong gains in mobile adoption. The company's Marketplaces business enjoyed a 19% gain in U.S. gross merchandise volume (GMV), excluding vehicles. GMV, a key metric in online retail, refers to the total sales value of items sold over a specific time frame.Marketplaces, which was widely expected to boost eBay's fourth-quarter numbers, generated record revenue of $2 billion. "We had a great finish to an excellent year, with fourth-quarter results exceeding our expectations," CEO John Donahoe said in the company's statement. EBay shares, which closed up 0.8% during Wednesday's session, gained 0.9% to reach $53.55 in extended trading. For the first quarter, eBay forecasts revenue between $3.65 billion and $3.75 billion, compared to analysts' prediction of $3.795 billion. Excluding items, the auction site expects earnings between 60 cents and 62 cents a share. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters are looking for earnings of 63 cents a share. For fiscal 2013, eBay expects revenue between $16 billion and $16.5 billion, in line with Wall Street's estimate of $16.298 billion. Excluding items, the San Jose, Calif.-based firm expects earnings between $2.70 and $2.75 a share. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters have forecast earnings of $2.74 a share. -- Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV