VW CrossBlue Concept
At the Monday rollout for this concept, Jonathan Browning, CEO of Volkswagen of America, said Volkswagen is growing in the U.S. but "we are absent from the large and growing mid-sized SUV segment.
"Perhaps we can surprise somebody (and) deliver a stylish SUV that is fun to drive, in this class, one you might expect VW to take on," Browning said, noting that the segment is expected to grow by 22% in 2012 as "SUVs are replacing the classic minivan."
VW said the CrossBlue would flesh out its SUV lineup with a seven-seat midsize crossover that slots in above the Tiguan and below the premium Touareg. One advantage -- for the first time VW has an SUV with a name that does not sound like the name of a pet tiger. Also, CrossBlue features a plug-in hybrid powertrain with estimated fuel economy of 89 miles per gallon in the electric mode and 35 mpg as a hybrid.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV