The 2014 Corvette Stingray got lots of attention, just as GM had hoped. A Sunday night introduction, in advance of the show's Monday morning opening, probably helped.
Why was the Stingray considered so important? We found one answer in a Detroit Free Press article, where Mark Reuss, president of GM North America, said, "I joined the company because of this car" and recalled that on his first date with his future wife he drove a 1969 Corvette that he "was redoing at the time." In other words, at an auto show that is aimed at the auto industry rather than the region where it is staged, GM focused on a car that is important to the industry.
During a brief interview, we asked Reuss whether the Corvette can move beyond its core consumer group of baby boomers, and he responded: "Anybody who's got money and is interested in buying it, we'll sell it to them."This car represents freedom," he added. "It is unapologetically American."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV