- Do Not Operate Under the Influence of Drugs or Alcohol – Alcohol is a leading cause of fatalities on snowmobiles. As with operating any other vehicle, alcohol and drugs negatively impact a driver's senses including reaction time, vision, balance and coordination.
- Dress Appropriately – Riders should make sure their helmets are safety-certified, in good condition, and fit properly. In addition, riders should wear goggles or protective eyewear to shield them from the sun and other elements.
- Know Your Surroundings – Riding in unfamiliar areas can present a serious danger to snowmobilers. For example, lakes and ponds have the risk of falling through the ice, giving riders less traction for turning or stopping the snowmobile in an emergency. Snowmobile operators should also avoid driving on main roads where visibility and traffic may prove hazardous.
- Avoid Using a Cell Phone – Just as with a motor vehicle, texting or talking on a cell phone should be avoided while operating a snowmobile. In addition to the distraction from your surroundings, it prevents the driver from keeping both hands in control of the snowmobile.
- Beware of Avalanches – Snowmobilers top the list of those caught and killed in avalanches. Riders should prepare themselves by taking an avalanche training course, be aware of their surroundings when riding in areas with mountains or hills and recognize the signs of a potential avalanche.
- Never Ride Alone – It is never safe for snowmobilers to ride alone. If there is an accident or an injury, riders will need a buddy to assist them and call for help.
The Hanover Insurance Group Offers Strategies To Keep Snowmobilers Safe This Winter
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.