Users Flaunt Volunteerism With Social-Media App
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Now your friends can see when you check in for ... volunteer service?
Foursquare and the Presidential Inaugural Committee (PIC) said Wednesday a new partnership would enable Foursquare users to unlock a new badge on the social-networking platform by participating in the National Day of Service, which takes place Jan. 19.
"At Foursquare, we were so inspired by the idea of a lifelong commitment that we created the first Foursquare badge to reward volunteerism," Foursquare CEO Dennis Crowley said. "Along with the PIC, we encourage all Americans to get out and serve in their own communities to celebrate the inauguration of President Obama and the memory of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr."
President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama implemented the National Day of Service just before the president's first inauguration in 2009 as part of an effort to encourage Americans to help out with their local communities.Chelsea Clinton will be the honorary chair of the National Day of Service, which will take place two days before Obama's ceremonial swearing in as president. Foursquare's Web site gives users a list of events to join in order to receive the "Serve" badge. Obama and Vice President Joe Biden officially will be sworn in on Sunday, Jan. 20 -- the date specified by the U.S. Constitution -- and ceremoniously sworn in on the steps of the Capitol beginning at 11:30 a.m. Jan. 21. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV