Cardinal Financial Corporation (NASDAQ: CFNL) (the “Company”) today announced quarterly earnings of $13.0 million, or $0.43 per diluted share, for the period ended December 31, 2012. This is a 58% increase over earnings of $8.2 million, or $0.28 per diluted share, from the fourth quarter of last year. For the year ended December 31, 2012, earnings were $45.3 million, or $1.51 per diluted share, versus $28.0 million, or $0.94 per diluted share, in 2011.
Selected Earnings Highlights
- For the year ended December 31, 2012, the Company’s performance resulted in a return on average assets of 1.70% and a return on average equity of 16.02%.
- Asset quality remains excellent. Nonperforming loans remained low at 0.25% of total assets, and net loan charge offs were 0.35% of average loans outstanding. The Company had $0 real estate owned at December 31, 2012, and $0 loans receivable past due 30 days or more and still accruing.
- Loans held for investment grew 11% to $1.80 billion at December 31, 2012, from $1.63 billion at December 31, 2011.
- Total deposits grew to $2.24 billion, an increase of 26% compared to December 31, 2011. Demand deposit account balances increased 33% year over year.
- Mortgage banking net income was approximately $3.6 million for the current quarter versus $231,000 for the year ago quarter and versus $7.0 million for the previous quarter ended September 30, 2012.
- At December 31, 2012, total assets of the Company were approximately $3.04 billion, an increase of 17% from total assets of $2.60 billion at December 31, 2011.
- The Company’s tax equivalent net interest margin was 3.57% for the current quarter, a decrease from 3.62% for the previous quarter.
- All capital ratios exceed the requirements of banking regulators to be considered well-capitalized. Tangible common equity capital (TCE) as a percentage of total assets was 9.40%.
Income Statement Review
Net Interest IncomeCompared to the year ago quarter, net interest income for the fourth quarter of 2012 increased 6% to $24.2 million from $22.7 million. Tax equivalent net interest margin for the three months ended December 31, 2012 decreased to 3.57% from 3.88% a year ago and decreased from 3.62% for the third quarter of 2012. Comparing the current quarter to the third quarter of 2012, average loan balances increased $18 million, the average loan yield decreased 0.08%, and the average yield on all earning assets decreased 0.14%. During this same period, the average costs of interest-bearing liabilities decreased 0.10% primarily due to a 0.80% rate reduction in deposit pricing on the Company’s “First Choice” interest checking product that was introduced in early 2012 with a 2.01% rate and raised approximately $180 million of “new money”. The Company saw no decline in balances resulting from this rate decrease.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV