DALLAS, Jan. 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Television company Belo Corp. (NYSE: BLC) announced today that its stations provided free airtime to 135 congressional and gubernatorial candidates across the U.S. during the 2012 election season through the Company's "It's Your Time" program. In addition, Belo maximized the impact of its voter education efforts by broadcasting an average of 120 minutes per week of political coverage on each of its 14 news-producing television stations in the six weeks leading up to Election Day.
From September 23 to November 5, Belo television stations aired an average of 87 local and national election-related stories each week. The coverage included eight debates that gave viewers a focused look at the candidates and their platforms. Belo re-broadcast an average of 105 stories weekly on the Company's regional and local news channels.
The Company also streamed and archived election-related stories and debates on its 20 station websites and distributed election coverage on its digital multicast subchannels, mobile applications, and station Facebook pages.
Other highlights of the Company's election coverage during 2012 included:
- A one-hour Texas Republican U.S. Senate debate which aired on all Belo Texas television stations including WFAA-TV in Dallas/Fort Worth, KHOU-TV in Houston, KENS-TV in San Antonio, and KVUE-TV in Austin. The debate was streamed on each station's website as well as on Belo's regional cable news channel, TXCN. It was also streamed on the website of The Dallas Morning News and made available statewide to Texas radio stations and Spanish television stations. This debate was followed by an additional one-hour Texas Republican runoff debate hosted by WFAA;
- a one-hour Texas U.S. Senate debate hosted by WFAA between Republican and former Texas Solicitor General Ted Cruz and Democrat and former State Representative Paul Sadler;
- a one-hour Washington state gubernatorial debate hosted by KING-TV in Seattle/ Tacoma between Democrat and former U.S. Congressman Jay Inslee and Republican Washington Attorney General Rob McKenna; and,
- a one-hour gubernatorial debate hosted by WCNC-TV in Charlotte between Democrat and former Lieutenant Governor Walter Dalton and Republican and former Charlotte Mayor Pat McCrory.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV