The settlement is similar to the one struck earlier this month, when ten mortgage servicers agreed to pay $8.5 billion in cash and mortgage assistance to borrowers.
Goldman and Morgan Stanley will pay $232 million in direct payments to eligible borrowers and $325 million in other assistance such as loan modifications and forgiveness of deficiency judgements. The settlement money will go to 220,000 borrowers whose homes were foreclosed upon in 2009 and 2010 by the former servicing subsidiaries of Goldman and Morgan Stanley.
Borrowers could receive anywhere between a few hundred dollars to $125,000, depending upon the servicing error.With the addition of Goldman and Morgan Stanley to the settlement, more than 4 million borrowers will receive a total of $3.5 billion in cash compensation while an additional $5.5 billion will be provided by the servicers for mortgage assistance. Regulators entered into the settlement with servicers after determining that the independent foreclosure review process, mandated under an enforcement action in 2011 following the robosigning scandal, was proving too costly and was largely ineffective in providing borrower relief. With the settlement, servicers can cease the foreclosure review process. The Fed said that it continues to work to reach similar agreements with other servicers named in the enforcement action. -- Written by Shanthi Bharatwaj in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV