Let's get one thing straight first. No one knows (outside of Apple) for sure what the iPhone sales numbers are, but based on real-world best "guesses," Apple sales are not slowing and are continuing to grow at a brisk pace. More importantly, the company as a whole is a money printing press that continues to accelerate.
I own a Samsung SIII phone, and I like it, but I don't believe its revenue/earnings per phone is greater than the iPhone 5. So when I read about Samsung and Google's (GOOG) Android selling increasingly greater amounts of phones, I keep this in mind.
Another road kill called Nokia (NOK) is making a lot of waves lately. Nokia's Microsoft (MSFT) based phone has less than 5% market share. How can I say this delicately without annoying Nokia investors too much?
Who cares if Nokia doubled its phone sales? If your market share is 2% and it increases to 4%, you haven't really changed the competitive landscape. I'm not negative or bearish on Nokia, I'm just realistic. Apple is growing a $150 billion company at more than a 20% yearly rate. So, yes, maybe Apple will not grow market share 100%, but when doubling your market share results in a monopoly, that option is off the table.Research In Motion (RIMM) isn't much better than Nokia from a market share point of view. RIM is another stock I remained bullish with from around June of last year. It took some time, but it bounced back. I still question if BlackBerry 10 will make much of a dent, but the intellectual property makes the company worth nearly $12 a share. RIM also produced a TDCombo 13 not long ago. It was on Sept. 21. The next day RIM made a bottom and hasn't looked back since.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV