NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Today I profile eight transportation stocks, seven of which report quarterly results in coming weeks.
The Dow Jones Transportation Average has made quite a recovery in recent months.
Back on Nov. 16, the transports were poised for a 2012 closing low, but during that session the stock market reversed direction as investors became convinced that politicians would avert a fiscal cliff.
On Dec. 24 I wrote " Transports Shift Into Fast Lane," with the theme that even after earnings warnings the transportation sector was ripe for a technical momentum run-up.Right now the transportation sector is not cheap, as my Web site, www.ValuEngine.com, shows the sector nearly 19% overvalued. The Dow Jones Transportation Average ended Tuesday with a new all-time closing high at 5639.64. Some technicians call this the first condition for a Dow theory buy signal. Transports are far ahead of industrials, as the Dow Jones Industrial Average remains below its 2012 closing high of 13,610.15, set on Oct. 5. Dow Theory has not had consistent calls since 2011, so in my judgment the Dow Jones Industrial Average needs to set a new all-time closing high above the current closing high of 14,164.53 set on Oct. 9, 2007. This would be a macro confirmation of a Dow theory buy signal. The daily chart above of the Dow Jones Transportation Average shows an extreme overbought reading with its 12x3x3 daily slow stochastic reading at 93.56, well above the 80.00 overbought threshold on a scale of 00.00 to 100.00. My quarterly value level lags at 5094 with my annual pivot at 5469 and annual risky level at 5925. Beware of false signals, as I show an 85% chance of a return to 5469 in 2013.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV