TUCSON, Ariz., Jan. 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The U.S. Air Force awarded Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) a $12.3 million contract to begin full rate production of High-Speed Anti-Radiation Missile (HARM) Control Section Modification (HCSM) upgrade units. Raytheon received the award as the result of a down-select competition.
The modification adds a GPS receiver and an improved inertial measurement unit (IMU) for precision navigation to the existing HARM. HCSM also features a digital flight computer that merges targeting solutions from navigation and seeker systems. These enhancements improve the probability of hit, while controlling where the missile can and cannot fly.
"Leveraging several years of experience with HARM, Raytheon's HCSM will provide the Air Force with enhanced capability and accuracy, while simultaneously reducing collateral damage or risk of fratricide," said Chuck Pinney, HARM program director for Raytheon Missile Systems. "HCSM will fill a critical capability need for the warfighter."
Raytheon is scheduled to begin modification of existing HARMs early this year with delivery of HCSM units beginning in the fourth quarter of 2013. Raytheon has teamed with Honeywell, Rockwell Collins and others for the HCSM program.The contract was awarded in Raytheon's fourth quarter of 2012. About HARM and HCSM The AGM-88 High-Speed Anti-Radiation Missile is a key battlefield element to suppress or destroy surface-to-air missile radars, early warning radars and radar-directed air defense artillery systems. HARMs have made hostile airspaces worldwide safer for U.S. and allied warfighters. The missile resides in the inventories of eight countries.
- More than 4,000 HARMs have been employed in combat.
- HCSM adds GPS/IMU navigation accuracy, giving HARM the ability to engage time-critical targets.
- HCSM has new features that degrade counter-HARM tactics, while reducing the risk of fratricide or collateral damage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV