Markets & Investor Services revenue was $4.5 billion, up 16% from the prior year. Fixed Income and Equity Markets combined revenue was $4.1 billion, up 19% from the prior year, driven by solid client revenue and improved performance in credit-related products. The portion of the synthetic credit portfolio transferred from the Chief Investment Office in Corporate to the CIB on July 2, 2012 experienced a modest loss during the current quarter, which was included in Fixed Income Markets revenue. Securities Services revenue was $995 million, up 2% from the prior year. Credit Adjustments & Other was a net loss of $586 million, compared with a loss of $532 million in the prior year; both periods were driven predominantly by the impact of DVA.
The provision for credit losses was a benefit of $445 million, compared with a provision for credit losses in the prior year of $291 million. The current-period benefit was primarily driven by recoveries and a reduction in the allowance for credit losses, both related to certain restructured nonperforming loans. The ratio of the allowance for loan losses to end-of-period loans retained was 1.19%, compared with 1.35% in the prior year. Excluding the impact of the consolidation of Firm-administered multi-seller conduits and trade finance loans, the ratio of the allowance for loan losses to end-of-period loans retained was 2.52% 1, compared with 3.06% 1 in the prior year.
Noninterest expense was $5.0 billion, up 10% from the prior year, driven by higher compensation expense on stronger revenue performance. The compensation ratio for the current quarter was 27%, excluding the impact of DVA 1.
Key Metrics and Business Updates: (All comparisons refer to the prior-year quarter except as noted, and all rankings are according to Dealogic)
- Ranked #1 in Global Investment Banking Fees for the year ended December 31, 2012.
- Ranked #1 in Global Debt, Equity and Equity-related; #1 in Global Long-Term Debt; #1 in Global Syndicated Loans; #2 in Global Announced M&A; and #4 in Global Equity and Equity-related, based on volume, for the year ended December 31, 2012.
- Average client deposits and other third-party liabilities were $366.5 billion, up 1% from the prior year.
- Assets under custody were a record $18.8 trillion, up 12% from the prior year.
- International revenue was $3.5 billion, up 10% from the prior year, representing 46% of total revenue (47% 1 of total revenue excluding DVA).
- Return on equity was 17% on $47.5 billion of average allocated capital (20% 1 excluding DVA).
- End-of-period total loans were $115.3 billion, up 1% from the prior year and 3% from the prior quarter. Nonaccrual loans were $617 million, down 49% from the prior year and 23% from the prior quarter.
- End-of-period trade finance loans were $35.8 billion, down 2% from the prior year.
COMMERCIAL BANKING (CB)
|Results for CB($ millions)||3Q12||4Q11|
|4Q12||3Q12||4Q11||$ O/(U)||O/(U) %||$ O/(U)||O/(U) %|
|Provision for Credit Losses||(3)||(16)||40||13||81||(43)||NM|
Discussion of Results:
Net income was $692 million, an increase of $49 million, or 8%, from the prior year. The improvement was driven by an increase in net revenue and lower provision for credit losses, partially offset by higher noninterest expense.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts