The provision for credit losses and net charge-offs were both $110 million (2.36% net charge-off rate), compared with $132 million (3.02% net charge-off rate) in the prior year.
Noninterest expense was $2.9 billion, up 2% from the prior year, largely driven by new branch builds.
Key Metrics and Business Updates: (All comparisons refer to the prior-year quarter except as noted)
- Average total deposits were $404.0 billion, up 10% from the prior year and 3% from the prior quarter; deposit growth rates were among the best in the industry (as of November 2012).
- Deposit margin was 2.44%, compared with 2.76% in the prior year and 2.56% in the prior quarter.
- Accounts totaled 28.1 million, up 5% from the prior year and 1% from the prior quarter.
- Chase Private Client locations totaled 1,218, an increase of 956 from the prior year and 258 from the prior quarter.
- Record end-of-period Business Banking loans of $18.9 billion, up 7% from the prior year and 2% from the prior quarter.
- Average Business Banking loans were $18.5 billion, up 7% from the prior year and 1% from the prior quarter; originations were $1.5 billion, up 10% from the prior year and down 9% from the prior quarter; Chase continues to be the #1 SBA lender (in number of loans, as of November 2012).
- Branch sales of investment products were up 49% compared with the prior year and 11% compared with the prior quarter.
- Client investment assets, excluding deposits, were $158.5 billion, up 15% from the prior year and 2% from the prior quarter.
Mortgage Banking reported net income of $418 million, compared with a net loss of $269 million in the prior year.
Net revenue was $3.3 billion, an increase of $1.2 billion compared with the prior year. Net interest income was $1.2 billion, down $94 million. Noninterest revenue was $2.1 billion, an increase of $1.3 billion, driven by higher mortgage fees and related income.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts