Treasury and CIO reported a net loss of $157 million, compared with net income of $417 million in the prior year. Net revenue was a loss of $110 million, compared with net revenue of $845 million in the prior year. Net revenue included net securities gains of $103 million from sales of available-for-sale investment securities during the current quarter and principal transactions revenue of $99 million. Net interest income was a loss of $388 million due to low interest rates and limited reinvestment opportunities.
Other Corporate reported net income of $605 million, compared with a net loss of $95 million in the prior year. The current quarter included an after-tax benefit of $620 million for tax adjustments, which was partially offset by a pretax expense of $184 million for additional litigation reserves. The prior year included pretax expense of $527 million for additional litigation reserves.
JPMORGAN CHASE (JPM) (*)
|Results for JPM($ millions)||3Q12||4Q11|
|4Q12||3Q12||4Q11||$ O/(U)||O/(U) %||$ O/(U)||O/(U) %|
|Provision for Credit Losses||656||1,789||2,184||(1,133)||(63)||(1,528)||(70)|
(*) Presented on a managed basis. See notes on page 14 for further explanation of managed basis. Net revenue on a U.S. GAAP basis totaled $23,653 million, $25,146 million, and $21,471 million for the fourth quarter of 2012, third quarter of 2012, and fourth quarter of 2011, respectively.
Discussion of Results:
Net income was $5.7 billion, up $2.0 billion, or 53%, from the prior year. The increase in earnings was driven by higher net revenue and lower provision for credit losses, partially offset by higher noninterest expense.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV