FXCM Inc. (NYSE: FXCM) today announced certain key operating metrics for December 2012 for its retail and institutional foreign exchange business.
December 2012 Retail Trading Metrics
- Retail customer trading volume (1) of $257 billion in December 2012, 16% lower than November 2012 and 11% lower than December 2011. Volume from indirect sources was 47% of total retail volume (1) in the fourth quarter 2012. Retail customer trading volume (1) for the fourth quarter 2012 was $886 billion, 3% higher than the third quarter 2012, and 9% lower than the fourth quarter 2011. Retail customer trading volume (1) for full year 2012 was $3.6 trillion, 5% lower than 2011.
- Average retail customer trading volume (1) per day of $13.5 billion in December 2012, 3% lower than November 2012 and 3% higher than December 2011.
- An average of 409,875 retail client trades per day in December 2012, 16% higher than November 2012 and 15% higher than December 2011.
- Tradeable accounts (2) of 190,217 as of December 31, 2012, a decrease of 13,278, or 7% from November 30, 2012, and an decrease of 4,389, or 2%, from December 31, 2011. In December, FXCM charged an account dormancy fee on certain accounts that had been inactive over one year, resulting in the decline in tradeable accounts when compared to November 2012. Active accounts, accounts which have placed a trade in the past 12 months, increased by 418 accounts to 170,930 in December 2012 from November 2012.
December 2012 Institutional Trading Metrics
- Institutional customer trading volume (1) of $80 billion in December 2012, 11% lower than November 2012 and 23% lower than December 2011.
- Average institutional trading volume (1) per day of $4.2billion in December 2012, 3% higher than November 2012 and 11% lower than December 2011.
- An average of 11,313 institutional client trades per day in December 2012, 15% higher than November 2012 and 35% lower than December 2011.
“We are pleased with how we have weathered muted foreign exchange markets in 2012 with our overall retail volumes decreasing only 5% to $3.6 trillion despite a 23% decline in average daily volatility to multi-year lows, as measured by the CVIX (3),” said Drew Niv, President and Chief Executive Officer. “In particular, in 2012 we were very successful in attracting larger customer accounts and while its positive effect on our trading volumes was offset by the unfavorable market environment, it positions us well for the future.”“While still early, 2013 has started strong and we look forward to our growth initiatives gaining traction this year, even if market conditions do not improve” he continued.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV