You can build a feature like this, in other words, but creating value from it requires training people to use it, and getting people to sign up for it. That will follow what I call "Moore's Law of Training," which states that there is no Moore's Law of Training. People learn, in other words, only as fast as they learn. They adapt to new things only as fast as they adapt, and everyone does so at different rates.
So what happens now? People who love Facebook are going to love KGS. People who don't love Facebook won't get as much from it. This separates the Facebook lovers from other users, in terms of the value they get from the service, so Facebook's numbers are bound to get more honest.
As with everything else, social is moving into its consolidation phase. There will be far fewer social networking companies at the end of this year than there are now, and the venture capital window has long since closed. Facebook is going to be one of those survivors. How much is that worth to you?
At the time of publication, the author was long GOOG and MSFT.Follow @DanaBlankenhorn This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV