ST. HELENA, Calif., Jan. 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Silicon Valley Bank, a leading provider of commercial banking services to the wine industry, releases its Annual State of the Wine Industry Report in a live broadcast from SVB TV studios today. The report captures trends and addresses current issues facing the U.S. wine industry, offering unique data and observations that help wine business owners and managers think critically about their strategies.
Key findings and predictions: See infographic and video
- The general financial condition of the wine industry continues to improve at a slow and steady pace.
- 2012 produced the rarest of events: large yields coincident with outstanding quality across all Western US growing regions.
- Sales growth in fine wine is predicted to be in the range of 4-8 percent in 2013, which is a lower rate of growth than in the previous three years.
- Wine businesses expect to increase bottle prices slightly; however, SVB believes that will prove difficult in 2013.
- Winery gross and net profit will be negatively impacted in 2013 due to higher grape costs.
- Inventory is balanced; yet grape planting will be restrained compared to the same point in prior cycles.
- The purchase volume of wine grapes and grape pricing will largely be flat compared to 2012.
- Mergers and acquisitions of vineyards and wineries will continue at a record pace in 2013.
- Massive bulk imports will continue to dominate the lowest price point wine categories.
- Planting in grape growing regions is and will continue to be more restrained versus prior cycles.
- Direct-to-consumer sales will continue as the largest growth channel for most wineries.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV