In Europe, inflation spiked in Germany as the Federal Statistics office reported that prices increased 2.1% year over year in December. Inflation in the U.K. held steady at 2.7% against a year earlier in December; inflation also remained steady in Italy at 2.6%.
Investors often look to gold as a hedge against inflation.
The euro, which had rallied against the U.S. dollar for the previous three trading sessions, retreated against the greenback for the first time since European Central Bank President Mario Draghi forecast last Thursday a positive outlook for the region by late 2013.
The euro was slipping to $1.3287 against the dollar, which was off the prior day's close at $1.3382.The Fed's Empire State Manufacturing Survey said Tuesday that general business conditions remained in contraction for January with a negative 7.8 reading. December's reading came in at negative 8.10. A flat read for January was expected. Gold mining stocks were mostly higher on Tuesday. Shares of Kinross Gold (KGC) were rising 2.7%, while shares of Goldcorp (GG) were adding 1.5%. Among volume leaders, Barrick Gold (ABX) was increasing 1.8%. Gold ETF SPDR Gold Trust (GLD) was up 0.85%, while iShares Gold Trust (IAU) was rising 0.92%. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV