Of course, any company running money market funds is likely to feast on any scenario that includes a significant rise in short-term rates, because most are being forced to subsidize the rates being paid to investors, since the market rates are too low even to cover the customary management fees.
In a scenario of rising short-term rates, Meredith said that in addition to Schwab and Ameritrade, his "top picks" would include the following companies:
- Bank of New York Mellon (BK). Meredith said that "BK has a highly asset sensitive balance sheet, which will drive margin and net interest income as rates," and that the company "has an added benefit of recouping waived money-market fees upon the first 25bp rise in short-term rates." UBS estimates that a rise in short term rates of 100 basis points would lead to a 10% increase in earnings per share for the company.
(CMA). Calling the Dallas lender "the most sensitive to interest rates" among the mid-cap banks covered by his firm, Meredith estimates that "an increase of 200bp in
short-termrates would result in a 10% increase in Net Interest Income"
- Morgan Stanley (MS). The company's plan to complete its purchase of Citigroup's stake in the Morgan Stanley Smith Barney joint venture this year will cause its deposit base to "roughly double" according to UBS, "thus increasing MS's asset sensitivity (exposure to higher short-term rates via its deposit spread)."
- Aon PLC (AON). The company would be expected to benefit from increased fiduciary income.
- RenaissanceRe Holdings (RNR). Meredith said that "higher interest rates would give a relatively fast boost to net investment income," because of the company's "very short asset duration."
While the firm estimates a major benefit to earnings for the above companies in a scenario of rising short-term rates, however, UBS's "base case" is for short-term rates to pretty much stay where they are, as long-term rates rise through 2014.
Top Picks for Rising Long-term Rates
UBS sees life insurers as the strongest group in its "base case" scenario for rising long-term rates, with short-term rates staying at or near their historically low levels through 2014.
Meredith said that "higher long-term interest rates would provide some relief from the downward pressure in recent years on life insurers' portfolios yields and investment spreads," although the improvement in earnings would be gradual, because of the relatively long durations of the companies' investment portfolios. "Therefore, we see sentiment improvement as the main driver of life insurance stock outperformance in a scenario of higher long-term interest rates."Here are the three insurers that Meredith said would fare the best in UBS's rising long-term rate scenario:
- Lincoln National (LNC) and Unum Group (UNM). Meredith said that since rising long-term rates would benefit all life insurers, "we prefer companies that can generate strong, above-peer book value per share (BVPS) growth, supported by stable operating and net ROEs and aggressive capital management," which would "support the stock prices of LNC and UNM even if interest rates fall and multiples contract."
- The Hartford Financial Services Group (HIG). Meredith said that "higher interest rates likely would accelerate the run-off of the company's annuities business (thus improving the perceived risk profile)."
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV