It's important to remember that even though the broad market looks pointed higher right now, the same can't be said for every individual stock out there. That's why we're not looking exclusively at upside trades today -- Hawkins Chemical (HWKN) is the sole bearish setup that's hitting our radar.
Hawkins is currently in the final stages of forming one of the most well known topping patterns: the head and shoulders. In a sentence, the head and shoulders is a pattern that indicates exhaustion among buyers. It's formed by two swing highs that top out around the same level (the shoulders), separated by a bigger peak called the head. A breakdown below the support level that connects those three peaks (called the neckline) is the signal to sell or short shares.
So far, this head and shoulders top looks pretty textbook, which means that the trading implications are especially good for it right now. That said, if HWKN buyers can muster the strength to push shares above the top of the right shoulder, we'll consider this setup broken. In the meantime, watch for the move below the neckline at $36.50.To see this week's trades in action, check out the Technical Setups for the Week portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV