Search Jim Cramer's "Mad Money" trading recommendations using our exclusive "Mad Money" Stock Screener.
Cramer said the markets have seen several of these rest periods, which typically come after big rallies like the one we saw after the first of the year. After each of them the markets have continued higher, he added.
That's why the markets were able to digest a host of bad news, including downgrades of American Express (AXP), Biogen Idec (BIIB), Regeneron (REGN) and United Continental (UAL), said Cramer, along with estimates cuts for Apple (AAPL) and disappointing results from Lululemon Athletica (LULU). Despite all of this bad news, a late-day rally still ensued.Even the threat of another Congressional battle over the debt ceiling, complete with the threat of a default, government shutdown, debt downgrade or all of the above, was not enough to keep the markets down, said Cramer, because in the end, business is simply good enough to sustain the rally. Cramer said he can't blame the analysts for jumping off the bull and getting cautious with countless estimate cuts and downgrades. After all, that's exactly what they did during all of the previous market naps as well. But as history has proven, those were the times to buy, not sell, because once the markets woke up they continued higher.
Picking Up the PiecesBreaking up may be easy to do, but what should investors do with the pieces? Cramer pondered that question with Abbott Laboratories (ABT), a company that spun off its pharmaceutical division on Jan. 1 as Abbvie (ABBV), a stock with a 4.7% yield, while the remaining Abbott Labs currently yields 1.7%. Cramer first recommended Abbott, a company he owns in his charitable trust,
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV