For investors, I recommend you chat up your golf buddies, ask what they've recently bought, check out the outfits on the course and check to see what Tiger and Rory are shooting that week, especially in the big events.
To wit, pure golf plays ALDA and ELY once traded in the $18s back in 2008. Now both are meandering in the $4.00-$6.40 range.
Maybe the best way to invest in golf is to track the sports retailers like Dick's Sporting Goods (DKS) (which also owns Golf Galaxy) that aren't beholden to merely the golf biz. Think of it as a golf mutual fund where it rides the wave of general sporting good sales. There just might be a nice stock bump available if you're able to catch and ride the next hot golf trends surging on the horizon.
Just be sure to glance at the Tour money leaders on your way to the stock tickers.At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @arnettrick This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV