Ciena® Corporation (NASDAQ: CIEN), the network specialist, and Farice, the main provider of international capacity from Iceland to mainland Europe, have jointly announced an upgrade to the submarine cable system DANICE, connecting Iceland with Denmark. The new upgrade, due to become operational in early 2013, will utilize Ciena’s 40G coherent optical transport technology to significantly increase the total capacity of the submarine cable, providing sufficient bandwidth to support the rapidly growing Icelandic data center industry. Leveraging Ciena’s unique GeoMesh networking solution, Farice has optimized its cable landing station design allowing for seamless connectivity between their submarine and terrestrial networks leading to savings in operation and capital expenditures, as well as reduced latency.
- Farice selected Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform for deployment on its 2,295 km long DANICE submarine cable system providing high-bandwidth connectivity between Landeyjar, Iceland and Blaabjerg, Denmark. The network will initially utilize Ciena’s 40G coherent transport technology, with ultra-long distance 100G wavelengths (based on the WaveLogic 3 coherent optical processors) to be deployed in 2013.
- With an increasing number of foreign enterprises and operators turning to Iceland with their data center investments – in search of low cooling costs and renewable energy sources – the country’s submarine cable system with direct connection to the European continent was running out of available bandwidth. Scalable to 8.8 Tb/s of total capacity on a single fiber, Farice’s upgraded submarine cable will address this capacity crunch, paving the way to further growth of Iceland’s storage and data center market. The upgraded DANICE submarine cable consists of four fiber pairs giving a maximum capacity of 35.2 Tb/s.
- The network upgrade will be managed by Ciena’s OneControl Unified Management System, providing Farice’s Network Operations Center (NOC) with multi-layer service management thus enabling rapid service deployment, accurate resource utilization tracking and network hotspot identification, resulting in efficient use of critical network assets and bandwidth optimization.
- In addition to upgrading one of two submarine cables, the deployment also includes a unique GeoMesh network solution, which incorporates optical bypass technology to significantly simplify the end-to-end network design from the cable landing station in the south of Iceland to Farice’s Points of Presence (PoP) in downtown Reykjavík and Keflavik Airport. The traditional approach is to add regenerators at the cable landing station, which adds increased latency, cost, and complexity. Ciena’s GeoMesh network solution incorporates an all-optical network design to connect submarine and terrestrial segments into a single seamless link, with high-capacity optical signals carried as foreign wavelengths over the existing terrestrial backhaul network.
- “Thanks to its well educated workforce and accessibility to affordable and sustainable power, Iceland is truly uniquely positioned to serve Europe’s growing data center market. With this opportunity, however, also comes the need of a connectivity solution that will provide unmatched reliability, scalability, and robustness. Ciena’s technology selected for the end-to-end network upgrade offers all these attributes and has been proven in numerous submarine and terrestrial deployments around the world. Together with the original FARICE-1 system connecting Iceland and the Faeroe Islands to Scotland, for years to come the newly upgraded DANICE cable will enable us to better serve the needs of both our data center customers, as well as our traditional telecommunications customers.”- Örn Jónsson, Chief Technical Officer /CTO at Farice
- “Iceland’s cool climate, coupled with an abundance of cost-effective green and renewable energy sources, makes it an ideal place for European enterprises’ secondary data centers. Because of its scarce supply, network connectivity can be a significant limitation to the country’s ambition of becoming a major force in the data center world. Leveraging Ciena’s innovative GeoMesh network solution, Farice’s latest cable upgrade will not only provide enough bandwidth to meet the operator’s needs today, but also allow it to grow as customer demand increases. As such, the deployment will be a true poster child for the scalability and flexibility that Ciena’s OP n network architecture is all about.”- John-Paul Hemingway, Vice President and General Manager, Ciena EMEA
- White Paper: Consolidated Metro Cable Landing Stations
- Data Sheet: 6500 Packet-Optical Platform
- Application Note: Enabling a bigger and smarter network with WaveLogic 3
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts