On the earnings side of things, select industry players, such as The Fresh Market and The Kroger Co., have been turning in solid results. In its most recent quarterly report, The Fresh Market saw its net sales jump by 22.1% and comparable store sales rise 5.6% compared to the same period a year ago. Net income was also impressive, coming in at $10.9 million, a 19% rise in year-over-year comparisons. The Kroger Co. also turned in strong numbers, with sales and adjusted earnings per diluted share increasing when compared to the same period last year.
With Americans loosening their purse strings in the wake of better economic times, grocery stores look well positioned to take advantage of the improving trend. If input cost increase stores could see a return to razor thin margins, but for now, the industry looks well equipped to start the year off strong.
StockCall.com is a financial website where investors can have easy, precise and comprehensive research and opinions on stocks making the headlines. Sign up today to talk to our financial analyst athttp://www.stockcall.com SOURCE StockCall.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV