By Pete Najarian, co-founder of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- The iShares High-Yield Corporate Bond Fund (HYG) doesn't show up on our tracking systems often, but Monday it saw heavy option activity that signaled bullish sentiment toward the market.
Traders focused primarily on a select few strikes, starting with the June 95 calls, according to OptionMonster's tracking systems. They then shifted to the January 94 calls, which were sold, while the February 95 calls were bought as a bullish position was adjusted.
Calls lock in the price where investors can buy shares in the fund, so if it goes up those contracts will generate some nice leverage. But these options will also expire worthless if the stock fails to move by their expiration dates.The exchange-traded fund fell 0.14% to $94.39 Monday but is trading at its highest levels since the 2008 crash. The junk bonds held in the ETF tend to follow the S&P 500, so these call buyers were actually looking for the stock market to keep climbing. Almost 18,000 total options changed hands in the fund Monday, more than triple its daily average in the last month. Calls outnumbered puts by 16,700 to 1,200, a reflection of the session's bullish sentiment. Najarian has no positions in HYG.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV