Bearishness remained high for a number of technology companies as 2012 came to a close. Between December 14 and December 31 2012, short-selling increased for many popularly-known companies. Rising short-selling volume can be a double-edged sword. If sentiment improves or there is positive news, a short-squeeze will exaggerate the rally. It takes patience to hold a bearish position when this happens.
To explore stocks that have high short-selling volumes but have improving fundamentals, there are 5 companies with short-volume of over 10 million shares:
1. Research In Motion Limited (RIMM): Designs, manufactures, and markets wireless solutions for the worldwide mobile communications market. Market cap at $7.11B, most recent closing price at $13.56. RIM shares outperformed even Apple (AAPL). Since October 2012, Apple shares declined steadily, while RIM shares are up 80% in the same 6-month period. Bullish sentiment is supported by the long-awaited Blackberry 10 release on January 30, 2013. A successful launch remains to be seen, but short-sellers increased their short-position to 137.07 million shares. RIM shares were even downgraded by Bank of Montreal, with a target of just $9. Continued coverage on the new Blackberry 10 device shifted sentiment in a positive way, making a bet against RIM a bad idea at this time. 2. Facebook, Inc. (FB): Market cap at $68.72B, most recent closing price at $31.72. The much-disliked social networking company saw short-selling decrease to 26.4 million shares on December 31 2012. Since then, shares are up from a $25 December low, closing at $31.72.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV