Bernanke Prods Congress To Raise Debt Ceiling
Bernanke said the purchases have shown that the Fed still has "ammunition" to aid the economy even after having cut short-term interest rates to near zero.
Last month, the Fed also said it planned to keep its key short-term interest rate at a record low even after unemployment falls close to a normal level â¿¿ which it said might take three more years. Unemployment remains high at 7.8 percent because the economy is growing too slowly and not creating jobs fast enough.
In December, employers added 155,000 jobs, roughly matching the monthly average in 2011 and 2012. That's just been enough to slowly reduce the unemployment rate, which fell 0.7 percentage point during 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV