Use the efinaconazole results as an unofficial commercial comparison for the upcoming tavaborole data.
The other relevant comp is Penlac, currently the only approved topical treatment for toenail fungus. However, Penlac's complete cure rate is only in the 5-8% range, according to the drug's FDA-approved label. Despite generic competition, Penlac still does about $250 million in annual sales. [Generic versions of Lamisil, an oral medicine, are also available, but use has been limited by worries about liver toxicity.]
Anacor closed Monday at $4.89, giving the company a $174 million market value. Anacor last raised money in October, selling 4 million shares at $6 per share. Anacor owns full rights to tavaborole. Schering-Plough licensed the drug but returned development rights after its merger with Merck (MRK).
-- Reported by Adam Feuerstein in Boston.Follow @AdamFeuerstein
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV