(NASDAQ: AMZN) – Amazon today announced the launch of the Amazon Instant Video app on Nintendo’s Wii console, providing customers with access to the Amazon Instant Video library of more than 145,000 movies and TV episodes. The app is already available on Nintendo’s new Wii U console that launched November 18 th and is being enjoyed across the United States. In addition, the app gives Amazon Prime members access to more than 33,000 movies and TV episodes to stream at no additional cost. For more information on how to get started visit, http://amazon.com/instantvideo/wii.
Starting today, the free Amazon Instant Video app can be found in the Wii Shop Channel for customers to easily download and install on the console. The Wii Remote Plus controller lets customers easily browse and search for titles.
“We’re focused on providing our customers with many choices to make their entertainment experience enjoyable and as easy as possible – whether it’s offering a wide selection of hit movies and popular TV shows, or a variety of ways to instantly stream all the content available in the Amazon Instant Video library,” said Anthony Bay, Vice President of Worldwide Digital Video for Amazon.com. “Today, bringing the Amazon Instant Video app to the Wii console means we’re giving our customers even more ways to easily and instantly watch the videos they want right at home.”
“Since it arrived in November of 2006, Wii has been a cultural phenomenon,” said Duncan Orrell-Jones, Senior Vice President, Network Business, Nintendo of America. “With more than 40 million units purchased in the U.S. alone, the addition of Amazon Instant Video means more choice across a significant portion of the American entertainment landscape.”The Amazon Instant Video app for Wii provides customers with a comprehensive Amazon Instant Video experience including:
- Instant streaming of more than 145,000 titles from the Amazon Instant Video library and more than 33,000 Prime Instant Video titles for Prime members
- Smart lists such as “Recently Watched,” “Watchlist,” “Genre Recommendations” and “Your TV Shows” that allow customers to easily manage their viewing choices
- Your Video Library gives customers access to purchases from Amazon Instant Video on the Wii or any of the hundreds of other devices enabled for Amazon Instant Video. For a list of compatible devices click here
- Parental Controls and Kid Zone features that allow parents to manage access to age appropriate content and also easily navigate specific categories to find family-friendly programming by age
- Whispersync lets customers seamlessly switch from one device to another. Start streaming a movie on Kindle Fire, then pick up right where you left off on your Wii console – avoid the frustration of having to find your spot