Glorious Food, Wicked Prices: Imminent Hyperinflation
NEW YORK ( Bullion Bulls Canada) -- Attempting to decipher the global picture regarding food prices, food inventories and food production is not akin to navigating a labyrinth. A deluge of misleading propaganda and short-term 'noise' from the mainstream media means anyone attempting to decipher these parameters is likely to encounter a plethora of "dead ends" and "wrong turns."
Those following agricultural markets and agricultural prices have seen two general trends emerging over the past decade: Rapidly rising (nominal) prices and steadily falling inventories. This flies directly in the face of the most basic of all supply/demand fundamentals.
Yes, falling inventories are supposed to lead to rising prices. However, those rising prices are then supposed to naturally lead to both falling demand (because of higher prices) and rising supply (because of higher prices) -- with the rebuilding of inventories an inevitable result.
Yet despite the largest price-spike in the price of agricultural commodities in 40 years, inventories remain depressed, and critical stock-to-use ratios remain close to multi-decade lows. So why has the global economy ceased to respond to basic supply/demand stimuli? Because our subsidy-saturated global agriculture model is so absurdly broken.
Source: United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization While fiscally irresponsible Western governments continue to whine (and do little else) about their exploding debts and deficits, utterly massive (and still-growing) farm subsidies remain untouched. Western agricultural subsidies (direct and indirect) now amount to somewhere in excess of $100 billion/year; however these subsidies are so endemic and heavily disguised that coming up with an exact figure would be a Herculean task. For example, much of the U.S.'s corn subsidies are in fact listed/described as
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV