Groups To Warn Industry Is Pressuring NRC To "Flout" Court Order On Environmental Impact Of Nuclear Reactor Waste
Rebuttal to Nuclear Energy Institute Filing Comes One Day Before Monthly NRC Public Meeting on Waste Issues; NEI Seen Undercutting Needed Research on Reactor Pool Fires, Other Issues.
WASHINGTON, Jan. 14, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- One day before the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) holds its monthly waste confidence rule public conference call, national and grassroots environmental groups from across the U.S. will file a rebuttal of claims made by the Nuclear Energy Institute (NEI), which has suggested incorrectly that the NRC can largely dispense with additional research needed for a court-ordered environmental impact statement (EIS) on long-term nuclear waste-storage issues.
The groups will release the rebuttal during a phone-based news event at 1:30 p.m. EST Tuesday ( January 15, 2013).
In a point-by-point response to the NEI, the groups will show how the nuclear industry trade association would have the NRC "flout" the federal court ruling that triggered the EIS process for nuclear-waste storage. Among other key issues, the NEI wants the NRC to rely on existing studies of spent fuel pool fire risks -- even though those studies are not only secret, but the agency also recently revealed to the GAO that it has lost track of them.News event speakers will be:
- Arjun Makhijani, Ph.D., president, Institute for Energy and Environmental Research;
- Diane Curran, attorney, Harmon, Curran, Spielberg & Eisenberg, L.L.P.;
- John Runkle, attorney, NC WARN; and
- Phillip Musegaas, Hudson River program director, Riverkeeper, Inc.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV