The experts at Gartner have just released their latest numbers which show that in the fourth quarter of last year, PC shipments are down 2.1% in the United States and nearly 5% worldwide, year over year.
According to the preliminary numbers, Lenovo and Asus had very good quarters. Now no.2, Lenovo shipments were up 8.2% compared to the fourth quarter of 2011, while Asus shipments were up a slightly more modest 6.4%. But others didn't fare nearly as well.
While back in first place overall, Hewlett Packard (HPQ) shipments were down 0.5%, Acer down 11% and Dell (DELL) dropped a whopping 20.9% These numbers include desktop PCs, mobile computers (laptops/notebooks) and mini-notebooks, but not tablets.Gartner explains it all this way: "During the holiday season, consumers no longer viewed PCs as the number one gift item," the tech research firm wrote. "Given a burgeoning variety of increasingly more attractive devices and services, consumers directed their attention elsewhere. Analysts said there was uptake of very low priced notebooks as a part of mega holiday deals, but this uptake did little to boost holiday PC sales". What makes the numbers even more interesting is that Microsoft's fourth-quarter release of Windows 8, which was supposed to help manufacturers with a much-needed year-end boost did nothing to help most manufacturers' bottom lines. --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV