Mercury General (MCY) is engaged in writing automobile insurance in a number of states, mainly California. It also writes homeowners, mechanical breakdown, fire, umbrella, and commercial automobile and property insurance. This stock is trading up 1.4% at $39.49 in recent trading.
Today's Volume: 209,000Average Volume: 233,761 Volume % Change: 65% From a technical perspective, MCY is moving modestly higher here right above some near-term support at $38.33 with decent volume. This stock has been downtrending for the last month, with shares dropping from its recent high of $42.59 to its low of $38.33. During that move, shares of MCY have been consistently making lower highs and lower lows, which is bearish technical price action. That said, MCY has started to bounce off that $38.33 low and move within range of triggering a near-term breakout trade. That trade will hit if MCY manages to take out its 200-day at $40.02 and its 50-day at $40.28 and then more resistance at $41 with high volume. Traders should now look for long-biased trades in MCY as long as it's trending above $38.33, and then once it sustains a move or close above those breakout levels with volume that hits near or above 233,761 shares. If that breakout hits soon, then MCY will set up to re-test or possibly take out its next major overhead resistance levels at $42.59 to $44.05. To see more stocks rising on unusual volume, check out the Stocks Rising on Unusual Volume portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Roberto Pedone in Winderemere, Fla.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV