Blue Cross And Blue Shield And Texas Health Resources Implement Innovative Reforms To Improve Quality Of Care And Reduce Costs
RICHARDSON and ARLINGTON, Texas, Jan. 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) and Texas Health Resources (Texas Health) announced today a new strategic alliance to deliver improved, sustainable patient care and help manage costs through Texas Health's Accountable Care Organization (ACO). This ACO will be one of the largest of its kind in the nation, available to patients served by the 25 hospitals of Texas Health, which is one of the largest faith-based, nonprofit health systems in the United States, with more than 5,500 physicians with active staff privileges.
The new ACO will include healthcare providers who have realigned their focus from volume of services to the value of services and will advance the future of health care by transforming the way physicians coordinate and deliver patient care. The new enhanced delivery system is designed to improve patient health and reduce unnecessary hospital admissions, readmissions, ER visits and duplication of services for patients with chronic diseases, leading to lower cost trends.
"By innovatively collaborating with Texas Health, this new ACO will help improve the quality of care and lower the cost of medical care for BCBSTX members and Texas Health patients, ultimately providing better value and improved outcomes for our members," said Bert Marshall, President, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas. "This alliance is an extension of BCBSTX's commitment to enabling innovative, value-based care delivery models such as Extended Medical Home, Intensive Medical Home and Bridges to Excellence, all of which are designed to reward physicians for managing costs and quality of whole patient care and moving from the traditional fee-for-service approach to a fee-for-value payment model."
"This agreement to establish an ACO is another example of the innovative approaches that we believe will lead to truly effective healthcare reform," said Doug Hawthorne, CEO of Texas Health Resources. "Texas Health has been advancing the concept of putting more emphasis on keeping people healthy and out of the hospital and developing new programs like this ACO to help employers keep their employees healthy. By creating this ACO, Texas Health is delivering on our promise to collaborate with physicians, payers, employers and other health systems to align the efforts of all of us around what is best for the patient across the entire continuum of care."This new model of health care delivery is designed to improve outcomes in three key categories: quality of care, patient experience and satisfaction, and cost efficiency. It will reach those goals by pursuing the following strategies:
- Early identification of disease and illness through effective management and coordination of patient care
- Use of advanced technology and support services to make more informed decisions and facilitate the patient and provider relationship and transitions in care
- Implementing an alternative or non-fee-for-service payment arrangement, and
- Lowering cost trends by coordination among payers and providers, without limiting medically necessary services in order to enable the delivery of more affordable health care products.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV