NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Assured Guaranty (AGO) shares appear set for a "flurry of trading" as key credit ratings and legal decisions affecting the company look to be imminent, according to one analyst who is bullish on the company's stock.
"We believe both these events could cause the stock to move by 5%-10%, or more, in either direction, depending on the outcomes," wrote MKM Partners analyst Harry Fong in a research note published Monday. In keeping with his "Buy" rating, Fong is betting on a positive outcome from the two events.
One of Fong's expected catalysts is a decision from Moody's Investors Service, which has yet to follow up after it put Assured Guaranty on review for a possible downgrade March 20. Moody's has delayed its decision on two separate occasions, leading Fong to speculate that a positive surprise may be in the cards.
"Given the lengthy delays, we wonder if there have been significant behind-the-scenes negotiations designed to allow Assured to maintain a rating in the Aa category," Fong wrote in a report published Monday. Assured Guaranty currently has a Aa3 rating from Moody's, and Fong notes he had initially expected Moody's to lower it at least one notch, which would have brought it to single-A status.Fong also expects a favorable ruling for Assured Guaranty from Federal Judge Jed Rakoff in a pending lawsuit against Flagstar Bancorp over residential mortgage-backed securities that Flagstar sold and Assured agreed to insure based on what Assured argues was misleading information provided by Flagstar. " The important thing to
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV