Luxury handbag maker Coach (COH) has built a business out of hitting the sweet spot between luxury and price. The firm ballooned in size during the Great Recession because of its perfect market positioning -- it offered attainable luxury for consumers who were cutting back on other purchases. And now, after the stock's valuation ballooned in kind, Coach is looking buyable again.
Coach makes and retails handbags and other accessories (such as wallets and umbrellas) through a network of around 465 North American stores and a large presence online and in third party channels like department stores. In the last few years, overseas has been the big story -- and newer stores in markets such as China and Japan have warranted a hefty growth premium in the stock's price. While the European market has had its share of hiccups in the last few years, Coach's new distribution deals in the eurozone should nevertheless help to boost top line numbers in 2013.Coach's share price has stagnated in the last 12 months, dropping around 5% while the broad market rallied and COH's fundamentals grew at a breakneck pace. That's reduced the firm's P/E multiple to 16.5, a reasonable premium for a retail name that's growing at such a quick clip. Coach consistently earns net margins around 20%, a fact that should make investors very happy as revenues continue to make new high water marks. With almost no debt and a $760 million cash position on hand, this firm looks well positioned for the year ahead. We're betting on shares this week. To see all of this week's Rocket Stocks in action, check out the Rocket Stocks portfolio at Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV