(Updates share prices of Apple and its component partners.)
The Wall Street Journal on Sunday said Apple reduced component orders for its iPhone 5 because of "weaker-than-expected" demand during its January-to-March quarter.
Apple has not yet responded to TheStreet's request for comment. The company's shares fell 3.2% to $503.86 as of 12:35 p.m. New York time.The rumor also weighed on Apple iPhone component suppliers Skyworks Solutions (SWKS) and Cirrus Logic (CRUS), pushing their shares down 0.84% and 8.5%, to $21.19 and $28.89, respectively. Avago (AVGO), which has a power amplifier module and a duplexer module within the iPhone 5, was down 0.55% to $34.15, while TriQuint (TQNT) was down 1.46% to $5.07. Launched in a blaze of publicity in September, the iPhone 5 shattered the company's pre-order records, and was lauded by the Cupertino, Calif.-based firm as the fastest-selling phone in history. Apple sold a total of 26.9 million iPhones, including the newly launched iPhone 5, during its fiscal fourth quarter ending in September, up from 17.1 million a year earlier. In November, tech research firm Strategy Analytics estimated that Apple sold 6 million iPhone 5s during the September quarter and predicted that the device would out-ship Samsung's Galaxy S3 during the fourth quarter to become the world's most popular smartphone model. -- Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV