The study also looked at the influences that impact kids' reading frequency, and parents ranked extremely high. The report found that having a reading role-model parent or a large book collection at home has a greater impact on kids' reading frequency than does household income. Plus, building reading into kids' daily schedules and regularly bringing home books for children positively impacts kids' reading frequency.
Additional findings of note include:
- Kids say that ebooks are better than print books when they do not want their friends to know what they are reading, and when they are out and about/traveling.
- Print books are seen by kids as better for sharing with friends and reading at bedtime.
- Consistent with the 2010 Kids & Family Reading Report, nine in ten kids say they are more likely to finish a book they choose themselves.
- Thirty-one percent of parents who have read an ebook say they personally read more books now than they read before starting to read ebooks.
- Thirty-two percent of parents say they are reading new kinds of books they never thought they would read, including children's books and teen fiction.
The study was conducted by Scholastic and managed by Harrison Group, a YouGov Company. Survey data were collected by GfK, and the source of the survey sample of 1,074 pairs of children age 6-17 and their parents was GfK's nationally representative KnowledgePanel®.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV