FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla., Jan. 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- PNC Bank announced today the opening of its new net-zero energy bank branch. PNC expects this branch, which is the company's most energy-efficient, to use 50 percent less energy than a typical bank branch and exceed LEED® (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Platinum certification. The 4,900 square foot building is located at 1153 S. Andrews Ave. in Fort Lauderdale.
"Cutting energy consumption in a building by 50 percent compared to code and adding renewable generation requires corporate commitment and a strong eye toward strategy," said Michael Baechler, senior program manager at the U.S. Department of Energy's Pacific Northwest National Laboratory. "Over the past few years, PNC has taught the DOE and national labs how corporations can manage and benefit from a commitment to energy efficiency."
PNC has more newly constructed, LEED-certified buildings (119) than any company on Earth. The Fort Lauderdale branch features innovative green technology and amenities, including 211 solar panels, a riverfront walking path for the public, paving designed to reduce rainwater runoff, high-efficiency LED lights and ENERGY STAR® appliances. Many of these money-saving features will become standard in the next generation of PNC's green buildings.
"The net-zero energy model demonstrates how a commitment to innovation can cut costs and increase efficiency," said Gary Saulson, PNC's director of Corporate Real Estate. "We expect the net-zero energy branch to reduce expenses, spur local business growth and inspire other businesses to adopt green building practices."The branch will also include:
- SOLAR ENERGY: The branch is powered by the sun using the most efficient photovoltaic (solar) panels on the commercial market.
- DAYLIGHT & OCCUPANCY SENSORS: The branch uses photo-sensors that control dimmable light fixtures as natural sunlight increases and occupancy sensors that prompt lights and computer monitors to shut off automatically in unoccupied spaces.
- DIRECT CURRENT (DC) POWER: Solar panels send energy from the sun to a DC ceiling grid system that powers highly-efficient LED interior lighting. This direct transfer of energy prevents the energy loss that would normally occur when converting DC to alternating current (AC).
- RESOURCE CONSERVATION: PNC used local and recycled resources for building structure and wall materials, as well as interior finishes. Products made with more than 80 percent recycled material were also selected for all ceiling tiles and walls.
- NATIVE PLANTS AND IRRIGATION: The landscape design is comprised of native Florida species, minimizing irrigation needs. Natural drainage channels lined with plants filter out pollutants and permit ground absorption, diverting much of the site's stormwater from municipal sewer systems.
- SOLAR SHADING: A canopy covers the building's southern exposure to reflect sun during the hottest part of the day without preventing natural daylight from entering the building, resulting in reduced cooling costs.
- WATER EFFICIENCY: Through highly-efficient water fixtures, the branch consumes 40 percent less water for interior use than a conventional building.
- WASTE MANAGEMENT: 98 percent of construction waste was diverted from landfills. In addition, branch staff recycle all paper, as well as cardboard, plastic, glass and metal containers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV