NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Joe Strummer of The Clash got it right: "The Future is Unwritten" baby. That's especially relevant vis-a-vis Apple (AAPL). (The greatest "London Calling" cover ever comes at the end of this article!).
And Weinstein is a damn good day trader. Here's a guy who spends most days in a pair of cheese curd-stained shorts beating the other guy (often some Wall Street hack in a suit and tie) on trades that open and close over the course of seconds, minutes, sometimes hours and occasionally days. He's one of the few I would follow into trades blindly. He's that good.That said, he doesn't understand Amazon. He reads the 3,000 P/E like the typical, misguided Amazon bear. Weinstein can make money on Amazon and most other stocks every single day. Long. Short. Both. Doesn't matter. Most of us are not quite that nimble. Consequently, you invest in companies you perceive as strong and sustainable for a period that extends beyond the foreseeable future. Pull up an Amazon chart. With few exceptions, if you held Amazon for more than a minute (figure of speech there), you made money. As of Friday's close, the stock is up 17,763% over its lifetime. It's up 236%, 44%, 50%, 23%, 11%, 7%, 4%, 1% and 1%, respectively, over 5-year, 2-year, 1-year, 6-month, 3-month, 1-month, year-to-date, 5-day and 1-day periods. All of this, yet we're expected to believe that just because Apple trades at 12 times earnings, Amazon must -- out of nowhere, after more than a decade of dominance -- crash and burn. That's nuts. If only these wishful intuitive correlations held in the real world. In Apple Loses If It Beats Itself, I riff on a lack of meaningful competition. Apple competes with itself. On my most recent CNBC appearance with the great Carl Quintanilla, I introduce the concept of 'the two Apples.' We're not comparing apples to oranges, we're comparing Apple to Apple.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV