Mental (psychiatric) problems can be caused or worsened by methylphenidate hydrochloride and other stimulant medications:
Call your doctor right away if you or your child have any heart-related symptoms such as chest pain, shortness of breath or fainting or new or worsening mental (psychiatric) symptoms or new manic symptoms while taking Quillivant XR.
Quillivant XR may not be right for you.
Tell your doctor if:
- New or worse behavior or thought problems
- New or worsening bipolar symptoms
- New or worsening psychotic symptoms (such as hearing voices, believing things that are not true, are suspicious)
- You or your child have heart problems, heart defects, or high blood pressure
- You or your child have mental problems including psychosis (hearing voices, believing things that are not true, suspicious), mania, bipolar illness, or depression or about a family history of suicide, bipolar illness or depression
- You are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. It is not known if Quillivant XR will harm your unborn baby. Talk to your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant
- You are breastfeeding or plan to breast feed. Quillivant XR passes into your breast milk. You and your doctor should decide if you will take Quillivant XR or breast feed
serious side effects
of Quillivant XR are heart-related problems and mental problems, as well as slowing of growth (height and weight) in children. Children should have their height and weight checked often while taking QUILLIVANT XR. QUILLIVANT XR treatment may be stopped if a problem is found during these check-ups.
Common side effects include:
- Decreased appetite
- Weight loss
- Stomach pain
- Dry mouth
- Trouble sleeping
- Mood swings
- Shaking (tremor)
- Blurred vision
- Increased blood pressure
- Fast heart beat
- Increased sweating
Talk to your doctor if you or your child have side effects that are bothersome or do not go away.