"In our view, the deal is a significant strategic positive for UPS because it will vault UPS from a #3 position in most European markets to #1 or #2 positions. We would expect the deal to strengthen UPS's global small package network and also significantly broaden its base of European customers," Wadewitz wrote, in the client note.
With TNT Express, UPS would also have grown its revenue to $60 billion from $53 billion, while pushing international earnings to 36% of overall revenue from present levels of 26%, according to a press release.
TNT Express's failed takeover undercuts the work of some activist hedge funds, who played a role in the shipping unit's split from Dutch Dutch mail giant TNT in May 2011.
Jana Partners, an activist fund, pushed strongly for TNT Express's eventual sale, however, in the wake of the cancelled merger with UPS, the company's shares are nearly 40% lower.Benefits of a TNT Express acquisition wouldn't have been as present for UPS's main U.S. rival FedEx Corporation (FDX), according to Sterne Agee analyst Jeff Kauffman. For more on UPS shares see The #1 recession proof portfolio that will make you richer and the most bought industrial stocks among investment funds. UPS was advised by UBS (UBS), Morgan Stanley (MS) and Bank of America Merrill Lynch (BAC). Goldman Sachs (GS) and Lazard (LAZ) gave TNT Express advice on its sale. Written by Antoine Gara in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV