The daily 200-period moving average is falling, a technical bearish indication, however, on the weekly chart, the 200-period moving average continues to remain bullish.
For long-term buy-and-hold investors, the dividend is king. Intel is dividend royalty and currently offers a 4.2% yield. A large yield doesn't impress me when the dividend is at risk of vanishing, but even if Intel's profits are in line with estimates, the payout ratio is under 50%.
I don't know if Intel will beat this report's average estimate, but the smallest beat in the last four quarters was 3.8%. Will Intel beat every quarter in the future? Probably not, but the dividend appears solid. The average analyst target price for Intel is $23.05.
Short sellers are among the brightest and most informed market participants, and if they turn sour on a company it is likely for a valid reason. If the short interest ascends above 5%, you may want to scrutinize changes within the space. Otherwise, the prevailing 4.6% of the float short is relatively meager and not a major concern.Intel's competition comes from Advanced Micro Devices (AMD), Nvidia (NVDA), Qualcomm (QCOM), Texas Instruments (TXN), Seagate (STX) and Western Digital (WDC). Seagate and Western Digital may not come to mind first as competitors, but don't discount the storage space. Intel produces consumer and enterprise level solid state storage devices. As storage chip prices continue to fall, solid state storage will take market share away from mechanical storage. I am very bullish on Seagate and have written about Seagate many times in 2012. My most recent article was
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV