NAPERVILLE, Ill. and LONDON, Jan. 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Calamos Investments ®*, a globally diversified investment management firm, released its quarterly Global Economic Review and Outlook. The outlook provides the firm's views on the current economic environment and discusses factors that may affect the global markets and investing opportunities and risks. Calamos invites you to read the entire January 2013 Global Economic Review and Outlook at Calamos.com/Outlook. Topics include the following:
- The Calamos Investment Committee's global economic outlook is one of cautious optimism. We expect a measured recovery to continue in the global economy. Supportive factors include accommodative monetary policy globally and a U.S. fiscal cliff in the rear-view mirror. Our caution reflects concerns about the potential impact of macro events, including debt ceiling debates in the U.S. and fiscal austerity in the euro zone, potentially contributing to a continued slowdown in earnings growth.
- The U.S. economy looks positioned to maintain a slow growth path. A resilient consumer remains at the heart of the recovery. Corporate balance sheets are strong, with operating margins near historic highs and high cash balances. Although contentious debt ceiling debates lie ahead, we believe Congress ultimately understands the U.S. must pay its bills.
- Emerging markets should make continued significant contributions to global growth. Recent data out of China has been encouraging, including rebounds in manufacturing. With lower debt levels relative to GDP, many emerging markets have policy latitude to navigate their economies. The expansion of the middle class in emerging markets is a momentous secular trend that can drive long-term growth.
- In the euro zone, the tail risk of break up appears to be mitigated. Euro zone members have demonstrated resolve in the face of ongoing challenges. In 2013 and beyond, the euro zone must continue to aggressively address imbalances among countries, as economic weakness has spread into core and neighboring economies.
- Japan could be a game changer. The return of Prime Minister Abe to leadership has catalyzed the Bank of Japan to move more decisively to stimulate economic growth. Given the size of Japan's economy, this could be highly consequential for the global economy as a whole.
- Encouragingly, we see indications that market participants are again focusing on company fundamentals and de-emphasizing "risk-on, risk-off" timing. Upward volatility spikes persist in the wake of macro and political events, but these are increasingly followed by declines in volatility.
- Equities are highly compelling. Valuations are attractive on the basis of a number of earnings measures. Multi-national companies remain particularly attractive as they have the opportunity to participate in a broader range of secular growth themes and to go where capital is treated best. Growth equities, in particular, remain undervalued to the broader equity market.
- We believe the case for defensive equity strategies is strong. Volatility will likely persist even as risk-on, risk-off market vacillations abate. As the economic recovery continues, we see favorable trends within the global convertible securities market, providing an expanded universe for defensive equity strategies.
- Corporate bonds provide a more attractive choice for fixed-income allocation. The Calamos team continues to keep duration low and is finding attractive risk/reward characteristics among mid-grade credits. Against the backdrop of continued recovery, we see increased opportunities in a broader range of credit tiers.
About CalamosCalamos Investments ® is a diversified global investment firm offering innovative investment strategies including equity, fixed income, convertible and alternative investments, among others. The firm offers strategies through separately managed portfolios, mutual funds, closed-end funds, private funds and UCITS funds. Clients include major corporations, pension funds, endowments, foundations and individuals. Headquartered in the Chicago metropolitan area, the firm also has offices in London and New York. Calamos serves professional/sophisticated investors around the world through Calamos Global Funds plc (UCITS), distributed by Calamos Investments LLP, London, United Kingdom. For more information, please visit Calamos.com. This material is distributed for informational purposes only. The opinions referenced are as of the date of publication and are subject to change due to changes in the market or economic conditions and may not necessarily come to pass. Information contained herein is for informational purposes only and should not be considered investment advice.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV