TORONTO, Jan. 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ - Harry Winston Diamond Corporation (TSX:HW, NYSE:HWD) (the "Company") announces today that it has entered into an agreement to sell its luxury brand diamond jewelry and timepiece division, Harry Winston Inc., to The Swatch Group Ltd. for US$750 million plus their assumption of up to US$250 million of pro forma net debt.
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Robert Gannicott said, "At the time that we purchased the Harry Winston brand, resource investment opportunities for diamonds were rare and expensive following the euphoria of the Canadian diamond discoveries, and the involvement of the large international mining companies. The Harry Winston brand was competitively priced compared with its peers and we could bring diamond expertise and strategic connections to enhance value. Today there is a range of diamond resource opportunities while the value of heritage luxury brands has increased dramatically. This transaction represents a sound return on our original investment. It will leave us well equipped to realize upstream opportunities in an environment where cash has become a strategic resource while preserving and expanding our relationship with the downstream diamond business."
The Swatch Group, with its unparalleled combination of expertise in both engineering and brand management, is the perfect home for such a prestigious brand. Under the terms of the purchase agreement, the Company has agreed to trade under a new name as of the time of closing of the transaction and will therefore change its name to Dominion Diamond Corporation. The Company will retain an ongoing relationship with The Swatch Group, one of the world's largest buyers of polished diamonds, in sourcing polished diamonds for them. The two companies will also explore the opportunities for a joint diamond polishing venture bringing together the manufacturing and diamond expertise of the two companies.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV