By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Lowe's (LOW) shares have never reached $40, but one long-term trader is betting that they will climb to that level by early next year.
OptionMonster's tracking systems detected the purchase of 5,000 January 2014 40 calls for $1.66 on Friday. The volume was almost five times the open interest at that strike before trading began so this is clearly fresh buying.
Those calls lock in the price where investors can buy shares in the home-improvement chain. The options can generate significant leverage in a rally because of their relatively low cost, but their value will melt away over time if the stock fails to perform.Lowe's shares rose 0.79% to $35.83 on Friday and are up 34% in the last six months amid improving sentiment in the housing market. The stock is now pausing around the same level where it peaked in 2007, which could be causing some uncertainty among investors about the direction of its next move. Buying calls allows investors to bet on a breakout with defined risk. In Friday's case, the trader can still benefit from gains in the stock but will lose only the $1.66 outlay if the old resistance level holds -- and regardless of how far the shares may fall. From a risk/reward perspective, that's a big advantage over buying shares at full price. Total option volume in the company was almost twice the daily average in the name on Friday, with calls outnumbering puts by a bullish 7-to-1 ratio. Russell has no positions in LOW
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV