NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Jim Cramer fills his blog on RealMoney every day with his up-to-the-minute reactions to what's happening in the market and his legendary ahead-of-the-crowd ideas. This week he discussed:
- why the market feels different this year; and
- why he's impressed by the strength of transportation and drug stocks.
Click here for information on RealMoney, where you can see all the blogs, including Jim Cramer's -- and reader comments -- in real time.
This Year Has a Different Feel
Posted at 2:58 p.m. EST on Friday, Jan. 11Waiting for this market to get tired, waiting for it to show some sort of true colors. Let me give you some examples. The level of disappointment that I heard about Wells Fargo (WFC) today was much more muted than last time around. In fact, people shrugged their shoulders, despite the run, and said "they are doing pretty well when you think about it." No throwing that one to the wolves. American Express (AXP) is still up pretty nicely from where it was, even as they used terms like cautious consumer in their conference call, in part because the consumer turned out not to be that cautious. Ford's (F) going higher again on the same news. That's highly unusual and positive. Microsoft (MSFT) and Intel (INTC) are both up after we found out that personal computer sales are down more than 6% last year. How can that be? Cummins (CMI) was downgraded today. That stock goes down two, three, maybe four bucks on a downgrade. Not today. A buck and a half. Benign. Stocks go down. But it's not vicious. There are no freakouts. It's just not a forbidding market. Anything's possible when we get into the guts of earnings season next week, but consider this: The J.C. Penney (JCP) downgrade was just punishing, horrid, left you breathless. The stock got pummeled at the beginning of the day. Now it's barely down! How can that be? So far, 2013 just doesn't feel like the last few years. Maybe it's because there is more money in. Maybe it's because if you are still in, you aren't easily shaken. You just expect more of a selloff than you get. But there are buyers underneath pretty much every day.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV